[jsr-314-open] [jsf2next] PROJECT_STAGE system property configuration

Cay Horstmann cay at horstmann.com
Wed Jan 13 09:25:19 EST 2010

On 01/12/2010 12:58 PM, Ed Burns wrote:
> Gah!  Cay is right, the spec does say the default is Production.  Either
> 1) I'm not remembering things correctly, 2) the spec is wrong 3) I've
> changed my mind since writing the spec.  In any case, this discussion is
> apropos.

If the spec is indeed not what you folks intended, maybe it would be a
good idea to fix it? This could be done independent of the larger issue
whether PROJECT_STAGE is adopted elsewhere in Java EE.

> CH>  Absolutely. This is something that I have requested for years. An app
> CH>  server is a development platform, not just a deployment platform.
>
> Oh do I wish I could share the JSR-315 EG traffic on this topic with
> you.  Perhaps you should be on the servlet EG.

Not everyone can be on every EG. I agree wholeheartedly with your
diagnosis of the problem--they should run an open process, just like JSR
314.

> With all due respect: What is it with you Red Hat/JBoss guys always
> assuming Ed Burns is standing in the way of your work and not doing
> anything on your behalf?  There is a provable pattern of behavior here
> stretching back to October 2007 and I'm getting tired of it.  Can you at
> least *check* with me before assuming that you need to take it straight
> to the highest levels?  On the other hand, I have a provable pattern of
> being accomodating and consensus building and continue to expect to run
> this EG in that manner.

As an outsider, it would seem to me a good idea if this is taken to the
highest levels by whatever means. Unfortunately the process hasn't
worked too well despite your tireless efforts (for which I am very
grateful), so if the Red Hatters can shake it up, I'd say "go for it".

Cheers,

Cay

Cay S. Horstmann | http://horstmann.com | mailto:cay at horstmann.com