[jsr-314-open] [jsf2next] PROJECT_STAGE system property configuration

Cay Horstmann cay at horstmann.com
Mon Jan 18 10:45:49 EST 2010

On 01/14/2010 12:15 PM, Andy Schwartz wrote:

> While I would prefer not to change the project stage default, I am
> totally behind doing whatever we can to ensure a reasonable out of the
> box experience. Development tools can certainly help here, but we should
> all be vigilant about reporting/discussing/addressing cases where we
> fall short of this goal.

Check out this blog that explains how to set the project stage globally
with GlassFish. http://blogs.sun.com/rlubke/entry/jsf_2_0_new_feature2

This is NOT a good out-of-box experience.

I was hoping that I could just tell Ludo to make the JNDI setting in the
Eclipse plugin, but that's not good enough. Note the super-ugly part two
of the instructions where the JNDI name jsf/ProjectStage must be mapped
to the name used in the GlassFish configuration.

Oh great--now I don't have to set the project stage in web.xml. Instead,
I get to put twice as many lines of GlassFish-proprietary mumbo jumbo
into web.xml. The whole reason I wanted this is to be able to ditch
web.xml altogether for simple examples.

(Actually, I think you could do this with a sun-web.xml, but it's still
ugly.)

How is JBoss doing here? Can I just click on a checkbox and set the JSF
project stage to development?

Cay

Cay S. Horstmann | http://horstmann.com | mailto:cay at horstmann.com