[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] Email archive?

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 17:07:50 EDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Cay Horstmann <cay.horstmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't know what you all decided to do with jsr-314-eg. I can't see
> it with my login. If you said it was not originally open, and
> therefore it's not appropriate to have an open archive, that's
> certainly defensible.
>
> But jsr-314-open should really be in an open archive.

At one point we discussed how to handle the jsr-314-eg archives. At first, I
suggested to include the in the open archive. However, after giving it some
more thought (and watching FaceBook get slammed for providing a false sense
of privacy), it's not fair to put those posts in the open since they were
sent with an understanding they would be private to the EG.

More importantly, Ed made this decision already, and set the expectation, in
his blog entry announcing JSR-314-OPEN [1]

"Any content previously sent the JSR-314-EG before JSR-314-OPEN was created
is not publically accessible, but know that all future content, for the rest
of the JSR, will be."

I support both promises :)

(As a side note, as I read over that blog entry again, I applaud Ed's
decision to make this JSR open--we just need to bring it full circle. That
should be a requirement, not an option, for all JSRs.)

> I have an mbox
> file with all messages between 2009-04-03 and 2010-02-16. If that's
> something that can be imported easily into the JBoss archive, that
> would be great.

Absolutely. If you can provide me with an mbox file, I'll see it gets
imported. I just didn't have an mbox file available to do the import myself.
I sent a request to someone within Red Hat who has them, but I never heard
back. Hence why the rest of the import stalled.

The first message to JSR-314-OPEN was posted ~ Mar 4 2009. If someone has an
mbox file that starts then, feel free to send it to me (*don't attach it to
the list as it will be too confusing*).

> That would leave a couple of small gaps, and they could probably wait
> until the JCP finally gets their act together.

"The first step is admitting you have a problem." The JCP needs to come to
terms with the fact that the infrastructure for mailinglists is a problem.
Setting up an open mailnglist should not be a difficult task.

-Dan

[1]
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/edburns/archive/2009/03/response_to_a_c.html

Registered Linux User #231597