[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] [490-XmlViews] Chapter 11: The JSF XML View Syntax

Ed Burns edward.burns at oracle.com
Fri Oct 22 11:02:38 EDT 2010

CH> As I had understood it, the need for XML was motivated by these usecases:
CH> 1) To allow developers to use standard XML processing tools. In
CH> particular, this requires to be truthful about the nature of the
CH> documents (i.e. not claim that something is an XHTML file when it
CH> isn't, but is really an artifact that will eventually be transformed
CH> into XHTML)

...and the most important manifestation of that, in my opinion, is the
requirement to have *all* elements prefixed.  For example, a proper JSF
XML Syntax View would look like this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<weNeedSomeRootElement
   xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
   xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html">
    <h:html>
        <h:head><h:title>Raw XML View</h:title></h:head>
    <h:body>
<?xml-stylesheet href="funky.xsl" type="text/xml" alternate="yes"?>
<![CDATA[ <p>This is CDATA</p> ]]>
<!-- comments consumed -->
            <h:form prependId="false" id="form">
                <h:panelGrid id="grid" column="2">
                  <h:outputText id="text" value="hello" />
                  <h:commandButton id="button" value="reload" />
                </h:panelGrid>
            </h:form>
        </h:body>
</h:html>
</weNeedSomeRootElement>

CH> 2) To not surprise developers with nonstandard XML processing (such as
CH> processing comments).

I'm not sure what you mean here.  XML processing instructions are
standard in XML.