[jsr-314-open] Partial state saving + tree visiting

Martin Marinschek mmarinschek at apache.org
Mon Feb 7 19:48:14 EST 2011

Hi Andy,

sorry for the late answer, but here my 2c.

> - Visit all (non-transient) components, but…
> - Skip iteration (for UIData-like cases). And…
> - Avoid setting up context.
>
> Is tree visiting even the right tool for the job?

If facets and children iteration is ok, we should probably stay with
it - except there is a performance penalty.

> Should we perhaps avoid this complexity altogether by sticking with a facets
> + children traversal (eg. as currently implemented by MyFaces) for partial
> state saving/restoring?

probably good old facets and children traversal is in this case better
(and simpler to understand for everyone involved). Tree visiting is
really only there for making sure context can be set up - if this is
not necessary, then it should not be done.

> Or are there cases where component implementations do in fact need control
> over the way that this traversal is performed, in which case an internal
> iteration solution (like tree visiting) is necessary?

I have not yet seen a use-case where for state saving/restoring
context would be necessary, but I might be missing something...

best regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at