[jsr-314-open] Pre-JCP filed draft of JSF 2.2 JSR

Jay Balunas jbalunas at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 08:11:33 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Kito Mann wrote:

> SK>  Also, do we need to open a new JSR for a JSF 2.x Portlet Bridge?  I see
> SK>  you have referred to the existing JSR 329 which was written for JSF 1.2.
>
> Personally, I think we do need to open up such a JSR, and having IBM's
> support for such a JSR would be very helpful.  However, what *I'm*
> trying to establish is support for a new JSR for JSF.  A portlet JSR is
> another matter entirely.
>
> Opening a JSR for the Portlet 2.0 Bridge for JSF 2.0 is currently being looked at.  However, as JSF 2.0 has already been out for some time, its currently felt we would better support the community by publishing a stable, working implementation of such a bridge based on logical extensions/migration of JSR 329 before getting into the thick of the JSR process which tends to be more methodical.  To that end there is now a 3.0.x Trunk in svn of the Apache MyFaces PortletBridge project (where the JSR RI work is): https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/portlet-bridge/core/trunk_3.0.x .  This code is stable enough for an alpha release in that it passes the upgraded version of the 329 TCK and runs the various Ajax and CompositeComponent samples I could find on the web/in Mojarra.  I will be doing an official (alpha) release shortly once I have clearance.  But in the meantime, interested parties can build/use it directly from this repository.  FYI ... anyone wanting to do so may want to contact me as I have found bugs in both Mojarra and MyFaces that prevent proper execution in a portlet environment.  I can suggest/provide various patches to get around these problems.
>
> It's probably worthwhile bringing Wesley Hales (JBoss Portlet Bridge) and Neil Griffin (portletfaces bridge) about this; I believe they both support JSF 2 currently, but I'm not sure if they're using standard extension points or not.

Yup, agree if we really want to have portal support as a keystone requirement we need to have these guys involved.  I've already contacted Wesley and he is working on some initial feedback.  I think it is also important that Alex Smirnov be involved as he has extensive experience with portal/JSF issues.

Besides these people mentioned here, who are the portal integration guru's for this effort, and how do we make sure they are involved?