[keycloak-dev] Admin UI

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Tue Aug 13 08:26:48 EDT 2013

As I said I'm not a fan of neither forms in modal panels, or multi-page forms.

Main issue I have with modal panels are they are not bookmarkable and are more size constrained. For example someone that often creates applications could just open:

http://www.keycloak.org/saas/create/application

Multi-page forms are not very nice as you don't get the whole picture, and there's no need for these with JS-style applications as the forms can be dynamic.

When a user doesn't have any realms or applications yet, I think there should be a single "Create your first application" button, there's not even any need for an applications or realms tab in the menu. This takes you to the create application page. Which is a single form with sections like (each section should be collapsable, where I show - it's shown by default, and + it's hidden by default):

<application options> [-]
<advanced application options> [+]
<realm options> [-]
<advanced realm options> [+]

When a user has created the first application + realm the next time the user creates an application the <realm options> section would allow the user to select an existing realm, or create a new one (again the new realm can be created from the same page).

For forms I think we should store which sections a developer has expanded in html5 localstorage so that next time the user visits this page it would be expanded. This also applies to viewing applications/realms. For example if a user when created an application expanded the advanced application options section, this will be expanded in the future when the user creates a new app or views an existing app.

Also we can do things like saving the sate of unsaved forms to localstorage. For example if a developer was creating an app and the browser crashed, or he had to go a way for a while, the form was saved to localstorage while he was updating it so he could just go back to http://www.keycloak.org/saas/create/application and whatever details he put in last time was there again.