[keycloak-dev] Keycloak as OAuth 2 compliant authorization server?

Matt Wringe mwringe at redhat.com
Tue Aug 27 16:14:10 EDT 2013

On Tue 27 Aug 2013 03:50:19 PM EDT, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 8/27/2013 3:22 PM, Matt Wringe wrote:
>> On 27/08/13 02:20 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> Well, you need to remember that OAuth 2 is a framework and not a
>>> complete protocol.  The actual authentication part with the auth server
>>> is the most "flexible" part of the API.  I'd like to follow it as
>>> closely as possible though.
>>
>> Yep, agreed. OAuth does not provide a complete protocol and leaves a lot
>> of stuff to the implementors to decide. It also makes a lot of stuff
>> optional and allows for custom extensions. It does however clearly
>> defined some areas and provides a defined protocol for them.
>>
>> Unfortunately we are not exactly in line with the specification in all
>> areas and would need to make some changes to become compliant.
>>
>> I am assuming that trying to 'follow it as closely as possible' means we
>> do want to be compliant and that issues should be filled where it does
>> not follow the defined sections?
>>

> What sections do you mean?

For starters, the authorization grant access is invalid according to
the spec. Not sure which auth grants we want to support in oauth
exactly, if any since technically we could have just a custom one
instead. But even with custom auth grants, we still have to conform to
the protocol.

It gets tricky depending on how customized we want to go with things
though. If we decide not to support any of the default auth grants or
the other optional features, then most of the specification no longer
applies to us.