[keycloak-dev] configuring social providers

Bolesław Dawidowicz bdawidow at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 09:42:29 EDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 03:35 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

>> I'm confused, I'll try to step through the process of a user that logs in via Google through Keycloak, to check that we have the same understanding:
>>
>> 1. A user visits www.acme.com and clicks on login (see attachment p01.jpg)
>> 2. The user clicks on the Google icon as the user can't be asked to register with yet another site
>> 3. The user is redirected to Google to allow Acme to access basic details about his account (see attachment p02.jpg)
>> 4. The user is redirected back to the Keycloak callback, which retrieves the user profile from Google, creates an internal user in Keycloak, and eventually redirects the user back to www.acme.com/logged-in
>>
>> Next time the user visits www.acme.com (and is not still logged-in) the user can click the login with Google icon again and is redirected to www.acme.com/logged-in without having to grant permission to the application, or login to Google (as long as the user is already logged in with Google).
>>
>> Finally, the user can now choose to disable access for the application to his Google account (see attachment p03.jpg). If the application is revoked, the user expects to next time he tries to login with Google to have to re-authorize access for Acme to his Google account.
>>
>> The key things to note is that a user grants access to his Google account, which he does to Acme (the application), not to the Keycloak server. Initially I would say it's best to have a config per application, then later introduce a mechanism to share these between multiple applications when that makes sense. However, for an online version of Keycloak (public SaaS) it would never make sense to have a global configuration.
>>

> Ridiculous...Of course it makes sense to have a global account for the
> SaaS...Its a lot easier to set up if there is a global Keycloak account
> that is re-used.  Simple is "Enable Social Login" checkbox.  Advanced is
> setup your own account.
>
> BTW, how many web surfers even know that the revoke feature even exists?
>
> keycloak.org - [REVOKE]
>
> makes about as much sense to me as a few of the domains I have listed in
> my own revoke page:
>
> si.auth.fyre.co
>

> While fyre.co is an identity broker, I don't know WTF "si" is.

prism.sky.net

Can't it just be an option? If you aim both SaaS and Private Cloud it is
a bit different.

Maybe my users are just dumb but as a developer I still want to expose
my app name and hide the KC SaaS from the user. I also want to be able
to ask user to expose minimal profile info from Google profile during
login to my dummy fortune teller web app. On the other hand I want to be
able to ask for full access to whole profile info to my "Do Your Friends
Love You Analizer" offering. I need granularity.