[keycloak-dev] bundle an SMTP server?

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 11:40:45 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

I remember that shit - it was even possible to Google for unsecured JBoss consoles :)

With that in mind enabling SSL by default makes sense - I didn't consider the fact that idiots will deploy it as is, thinking that it should just work for production straight away.

> Keycloak will require SSL for all communications by default for the very
> reason that transmitting codes and credentials in the clear is bad.  YOu
> have to explicitly turn it off.
>
> > With regards to SMTP server, I think it's going to be rare that a developer
> > needs this. If when it's needed during development, I would at least
> > personally prefer to just have it print the email to the log, or just have
> > it use my gmail account for sending mails. Emails sent from a email server
> > that is not properly associated with a domain will with a high likely hood
> > end up in spam.
> >
> > The simplest solution for a developer to use Keycloak would in my opinion
> > be a fully hosted solution. That way you can have proper SSL cert, email
> > server and db, all without having to worry about anything other than using
> > it. The second best would be a proper OpenShift cartridge. This would let
> > you use the shared OpenShift SSL cert, a proper db (automatically
> > configured and setup), but AFAIK there's no email server cartridge for
> > OpenShift. There may be a good reason for that, a shared email server that
> > lets anyone send emails could be used to send spam, and would result in it
> > being quickly blacklisted by spam filters.
> >

> Agreed, but Keycloak will be deployed on local machines too.  I can't
> see myself running a auth solution on the public cloud to secure
> Intranet apps.

True - but if people want to deploy (and manage) it internally wouldn't you then assume some level of understanding of how to set-up the required environment (db + smtp)?