[keycloak-dev] default roles vs. registration roles

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 11:43:53 EST 2013

> I'm going about default roles wrongly both in terms of implementation and UI. I'm well aware of that. This was only a temporary solution. The main reason why the default roles are added directly to the token instead of when users are registered is to make it easy to add applications after a user has initially registered. Again, I didn't intend it to remain like that for long. I wanted something simple and functional while we discuss and implement a proper solution.

The temp solution should change to automatically adding default roles to
a user on registration.  The UI should change to what we want in the
future, a registration UI page much like role mapping UI.  Initially,
behind the scenes it would manipulate default roles, but when composite
roles available it should switch to that.

> I like the idea of having a "REGISTRATION" composite role. Just to clarify, the registration composite role should be expanded when a user is registered, and the user would be granted the roles it is composed of (not the actual registration composite role itself). That would allow you to revoke roles from specific users later. This would also mean that if you change the registration composite role the changes would not be reflected in already registered users. To resolve this I think we should allow composite roles to contain composite roles themselves. This means that a developer could create a "DEFAULT" composite role, and add it to the "REGISTRATION" composite role. The "DEFAULT" composite role would be expanded when we're creating the token, not when the user is registered.

+1.