[keycloak-dev] Automatically login user to application when logged into realm

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Thu Oct 24 11:16:44 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

Amazon has SSO with LoveFilm! Are you really still claiming that the use-case I have where an application wants to do single-sign-on and have pages that adapt to whether or not a user is logged in (instead of simply showing a login form) is not something people are going to want to do? That's certainly how I would like my web apps to work if I was writing them.

> The current keycloak application adapter build on top of servlet
> security and only requires a valve and the keycloak configuration file
> and it just works.  The style you are talking about would have to bypass
> servlet security entirely and require custom application code to work.
> This is why I don't think it should be promoted as a preferred solution.

No it doesn't. The front-page for an application could have the following JSP code:

<%
if(request.getUserPrincipal() != null) {
%>
  <h2>Hello <%=request.getUserPrincipal%></h2>
<% } else { <%
  <h2>Click here to <a href="...">login</a></h2>
%>

<ul class="menu">
<%
if(request.getUserPrincipal() != null) {
}
%>

When opening the front-page the prompt=none would be used to login a user if the user is already logged in to the realm. If the user visits 'private/index.html' first, then it should result in the login form if the user is not already logged in, so in this case prompt=none wouldn't be used.