[keycloak-dev] M1 release scope

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Sep 19 07:51:31 EDT 2013

On 9/19/2013 4:28 AM, Marek Posolda wrote:
> On 19.9.2013 03:11, Bill Burke wrote:
>> We need to decide what we want to do for M1.  Here's my stab at it.
>> Let's discuss in email first as much as we can and then have a hangout
>> sometime next week to go over it and nail things down.
>>
>> First and foremost.  We have to focus.  No new features.  No playing
>> around.  For example:  no adding refresh token support.  No client-cert
>> support.  No changes to protocols. No new backends.  Let's just use
>> Picketlink JDBC.  No 'forgot password' using SMS, etc... You get the
>> picture.
> At this moment, I have working MongoDB backend and I would like to send
> PR with it by the end of this week. I just need to adapt this with
> latest changes in RealmModel and UserModel interfaces (added new fields
> related to requiredActions and totp).
>
> TBH I don't know why to not have it as part of M1? I am not seeing any
> disadvantages for people to have possibility to choose from more
> backends?

Of course there is an advantage to Mongo et. al.! but there's a lot of
work to do just to get a usable milestone release.  We just have to
focus on a minimal feature set to get the core done and playable to the
outside world.

Once we decide on our feature set for M1, you could help where needed,
or you could just continue improving/expanding back-end support.  Maybe
moving to Mongo would be the way to go anyways considering the
performance considerations?  I need your input here.

> Another thing is that it is easier for people to see or edit
> DB content directly in MongoDB database. Of course it's not so easy as
> directly edit XML/JSON file, but much easier than Picketlink IDM DB
> schema, which is quite complex.
>
> I am seeing just one disadvantage that every change in model interfaces
> needs to be adapted to both backend implementations, but you can always
> workaround this by implement stuff just for Picketlink and create JIRA
> for me to adapt changes to MongoDB backend. I can also disable MongoDB
> unit tests by default (ATM I have them enabled by default in my branch)

You might want to keep your backend in sync with master as I'll be
needing to add features to the backend to support the management UI.

Bill