[keycloak-dev] Viliam Re: What is everybody working on?

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Thu Sep 19 09:21:51 EDT 2013

My fault! I asked Villiam to do it.

Basically I started work on the account management pages, and Villiam needed something to work on so I asked if he wanted to continue on it. What we saw was that since all processing of forms are done by REST endpoints, JSF was really only used as a (very complex) template engine.

The benefits of FreeMarker over JSF are:

* More lightweight - we don't even need to do a servlet forward as REST resources can directly return the page themselves
* Templates are a lot friendlier to write - developers should be able to define their own templates for login, registration, etc. and FreeMarker has a lot simpler syntax than JSF (Facelets), especially for developers without previous JSF experience
* Same template syntax/engine can be used for emails

I agree this should have been raised on the ML first and I apologize for not having done so.