[keycloak-dev] Export/import implementation

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 05:28:57 EDT 2014

On 28.4.2014 10:39, Stian Thorgersen wrote:

> [...]
yes, I think it will work and KC would be able to find DS as it's
executed in managed environment and filter would take care of the pauses
during import/export. So I will likely go this way. Thanks.

I was also thinking about adding filter if we want to support
export/import from console, however supporting at with console would be
more complicated as it would require pause of already running server,
clearing all AccessCodeEntry tickets in progress, logout all existing
sessions etc. If we want to support it just at startup of the server,
things are much easier.

> It would be great if we could get the server to automatically use the export/import when an upgrade has occurred. We'd save a model "version" in the database, and whenever the server starts and detects an invalid version it would export the data to the json file, clear the database and re-import the data. We might need a prompt for users before clearing the db though. This may be complicated/time consuming to add though, but I think it would be worth considering at least.
I will look once I have all other things done. However I think that some
manual work would be almost always needed from users during version
update. For example there might be some new configuration options of the
realm configuration and other configuration options might be removed.
Some might be changed to support different type (For example some
"boolean" property might be changed to support enum with 3 values etc).
Maybe we can provide also tool to update previously exported JSON file
to newer version of model? I know that in GateIn there is usage of this:
https://windup.jboss.org/ . I don't know details and not sure if it's
good also for our scenario though.

Marek