[keycloak-dev] code freeze at end of day today

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 07:04:45 EDT 2014

On 4.8.2014 22:09, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 8/4/2014 4:01 PM, Marek Posolda wrote:
>> I've finished testing with AD and added one more commit (support
>> registration of new users into some Active Directory deployments).
>> Tomorrow, I plan to update docs for export/import but no more commits
>> from me (unless I found something critical and I will ping you in that
>> case).
>>
>> btv. some more feedback and questions from LDAP testing:
>>
>> * During import of realm, do we want to add users just to local store or
>> also to federation providers? Example: I've exported users from my realm
>> and some are mapped to LDAP. Now I want to import them into different
>> (clean) database, but during import, they are added into both local
>> database and into LDAP where they already exists -> error.
>> I wonder if we should skip adding users into FederationProviders at all
>> (or at least have it configurable) wdyt?
>>
> IMO, Users shouldn't be registered with Federation Provider on an import.
great, created KEYCLOAK-600 . I have a fix already, but will push after
beta-4.

>> * The small disadvantage of proxy objects are multiple calls to LDAP
>> during single user registration. For example calling to:
>>
>>            user.setFirstName(formData.getFirst("firstName"));
>>            user.setLastName(formData.getFirst("lastName"));
>>            user.setEmail(email);
>>
>> will actually perform 6 network calls to LDAP (each method call to
>> WritableLDAPUserModelDelegate first checks if user exists and then doing
>> full update of user). Do we care about this? LDAP is primarily designed
>> for reading, so maybe writing from Keycloak won't be often anyway? I am
>> not sure...
>>
> Fix for after beta-4.  We can add a addUser(Map<string, string>
> attriutes) method?
+1, I've created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-601 .
Hopefully it will help to reduce also number of SQL calls during user
registration. Because actually call to UserProvider.addUser(RealmModel
realm, String username) will insert user, but then there are additional
update call for setFirstName,setLastName, setEmail etc. Hopefully this
can be improved as well.

>> * The semantics of "searchForUser" is a bit different for
>> FederationProviders and our model implementations. For example, if you
>> have user "John Doe" and you search for "ohn Do" in admin console, then
>> both JPA and Mongo local providers will return you "John Doe" as they
>> add % at the beginning/end. However federation providers are looking
>> exactly for FirstName: "ohn" , LastName: "Do", so if "John Doe" exists
>> in LDAP, he won't be returned.
>>
> Can we do anything about that?  Does LDAP have a "like"?
yes, LDAP has * . Workaround, which works for me is to put directly
search string like: *ohn Do*  into admin console, but this is not pretty
and is LDAP specific though.