[keycloak-dev] Use UUID for IDs

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Wed Feb 12 06:30:06 EST 2014

I'm confused - so let's clarify:

Let's use IdGenerator to create IDs, but replace the implementation with:

public class IdGenerator {
  public static String generateId() {
    return java.lang.UUID.randomUUID().toString();
  }
}

* IdGenerator as it stands doesn't work. For example it won't work in a cluster. It also could quite likely generated duplicates if a server is restarted after the time has been changed (admin restarts server, realizes time is 60 min wrong, fixes that and starts Keycloak).

We'll then use this to generate IDs when creating new realms, apps, users, roles, etc. (for all model implementations). In the model api and in the db these will be 128-bits strings.

I don't see the need for TokenIdGenerator and we should use IdGenerator for that as well.

If there is a demand for it in the future, we could investigate a better solution. For example we could get away with a smaller id (64-bits?), we could generate sequential UUIDs to improve db performance, etc. In the short/medium term though, we have other higher priorities.