[keycloak-dev] WildFly subsystem and demo

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 10:53:38 EST 2014

On 2/18/2014 10:47 AM, Stan Silvert wrote:
> On 2/18/2014 9:45 AM, Bill Burke wrote:

>>> Yes, it's usually easier and more accurate to run a CLI script instead
>>> of editing standalone.xml by hand.  Using CLI also allows you to make
>>> the update remotely when you might not have access to the remote file
>>> system.
>>>
>> Stan.  I actually kinda (not wholeheartedly) disagree.  To run the CLI
>> requires setting up a local user to administrate the server.  Its
>> actually easier to cut, paste, and restart, IMO.
> If you are local then CLI does not require setting up a user.  Web
> console requires it, but CLI does not.
>
> If you are remote then I'm sure you agree that CLI is better since it is
> that much harder to edit a remote file.

I just can't see (yet) anybody securing a system remotely.  Even in the
Openshift case, its a real pain to do anything with a subsystem remotely
as you have to do port mapping to expose the admin HTTP interface, and
also set up a admin user (which I don't think can be done without
hardcoding initial credentials).

> Granted, there is more work to do in this area to make it even easier.
> One thing you could do is create a CLI script along with a *.sh or *.bat
> file to launch it.  Tell the user to save it to JBOSS_HOME/bin.  Then
> you can update the server quickly and accurately with a single click.

Or, they could just cut and paste the XML from the admin console to
standalone.xml...which is, still...IMO...faster, simpler, and easier?