[keycloak-dev] caching

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 09:13:39 EST 2014

I agree that there are headaches involved in a distributed cache, but they will always be an issue if you have a cache.

You're going to need to have some mechanism to invalidate entries in the cache whenever there's an update to the db. Infinispan provides various mechanisms to expire unused items, and it also has multiple clustering modes where the most interesting to us would be invalidation not replication. In invalidation mode the actual data isn't sent on the network, so should be less risky with regards to security.

I would also hope that Infinispan supports OpenShift, or plans to soon.

Non-JPA cache I agree with is the better option, but it may prove to be a fair amount of work, and possible error-prone. I've done this in the past and it was a real PITA to write and maintain.

>From your previous mail on OpenID connect spec and codes it sounds like it's fine for us to encode/encrypt the full access code entry into the code, as we already have a short lifespan on these. That would mean we'd not need any clustering of that, which would be great. Same goes with SocialManager, we can encode/encrypt everything into the state variable for OAuth2 enabled providers, leaving only Twitter as a problem (we could use a cookie in that case).

With regards to huge deployments, I think the dream figure for LiveOak is millions of developers. For those numbers I think sharding is the only viable option. AFAIK DB doesn't like millions of entries in a table, especially not with joins.