[keycloak-dev] Proposed changes to menu

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 11:27:41 EST 2014

I hadn't considered the screencasts, and it does result in this having a much bigger impact than I'd considered. So it's definitively not something to do now, probably not in the future either.

Just to clarify, I was considering sites that have a main and a sub navigation menu. So for those sites you've listed:

* cloud.google.com - has a single navigation menu, so it can be on the left that's fine
* gmail - has a single navigation menu, the bit above lists/mails are tools for the particular view
* github - has two navigation menus, the main (explore, gist, blog) is at the top, while the sub is at the right (code, pr, etc..) / github is horrible though, I always have to search around to find things
* wordpress - can't comment as I don't use it

It goes to reason that a user scans a page from top to bottom, and in a LTR language from left to right. Hence the menus should be placed according to scan-order. Talking about screen estate this would save 90px in vertical height, which is around 10% on most displays, but I appreciate that horizontal scaling is acceptable.