[keycloak-dev] Password storage and KDFs

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri Jan 24 09:46:19 EST 2014

On 24.1.2014 12:55, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Let me check if I'm misreading you, are you considering to make the
> salt static? If the answer is yes, the salt would be predictable, no?
> Not sure if I'm following you on this.
No, not salt of course. I meant to have just SecureRandom instance
declared to be static (or maybe not necessarilly static but shared
somehow via something like Picketlink is doing with SecureRandomProvider
or we are doing in GateIn). The expensive part is initial generation of
seed for SecureRandom and if this would need to be done during each
encoding/validation, you will likely see performance issues. Especially
in production environments with many logins/password validations.

You can easily try to run the code snippet below couple of times on your
machine and maybe you will see what I meant.

Marek