[keycloak-dev] PicketLink and KC Integration

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 17:58:28 EDT 2014

Hi All,

    I had some progress with PL and Federation Protocols support. I've provided implementations for both KC and PL SAML support. I think that would be a nice feature for our users, so they can use our stuff all together.

    Basically, what we have is a federated identity store on PL side, which knows how to consume a specific token from a federation protocol and extract its information to properly integrate with PL identity model. From a SPI perspective, federation providers must implement a Token Consumer and an Custom Authentication Scheme.

    The Token Consumer is responsible for understand how to parse a specific token and extract identity information from it (eg.: claims or any other kind of attributes). The Authentication Scheme is responsible for providing a entry point in order to extract the token from the request or in some other way. For instance, when using KC adapter the custom scheme uses the KeycloakSecurityContext to get the token.

    One of the most interest thing about this support in PL is that you can switch from different federation providers without change the rest of your application. In other words, if you are already using PL to protected/authorize your beans and using the Identity bean to handle the authenticated user, you still use it in the same way as a "regular" PL application.

    Another aspect is the possibility to provide a deep integration with a specific IdP in order to properly manage tokens by a consumer application. This is specially useful when your application does not use KC adapter, but only keycloak.js or something else to update and send tokens in every single request to the server.

    With that in mind, I would like to know if we can provide the KC related implementation from KC itself. The motivation is that in order to properly handle KC tokens we need some KC libraries and I think the best place to put this is in KC. Any change to API or something we get during KC build. KC users looking for PL integration just get it from KC OOTB.

    As I said, that would be 2 or 3 simple classes. Something like:

        https://github.com/pedroigor/jboss-wfk-quickstarts/blob/token-store-without-js/contacts-mobile-picketlink-secured/src/main/java/org/jboss/quickstarts/wfk/contacts/security/authentication/KeyCloakToken.java (See, we can use KC API to properly parse and handle tokens. Instead of PL-JSON)

        https://github.com/pedroigor/jboss-wfk-quickstarts/blob/token-store-without-js/contacts-mobile-picketlink-secured/src/main/java/org/jboss/quickstarts/wfk/contacts/security/authentication/KeyCloakAuthenticationScheme.java (Used only KC adapter is present. Otherwise users can just use our TokenAuthenticationScheme when sending tokens to the server)

        https://github.com/pedroigor/jboss-wfk-quickstarts/blob/token-store-without-js/contacts-mobile-picketlink-secured/src/main/java/org/jboss/quickstarts/wfk/contacts/security/authentication/KeyCloakTokenConsumer.java

    I'm still changing code. But those three core concepts (Token, Scheme and Consumer) are almost consolidated. Just need to test some other scenarios to make sure we're on the right path.

    Any thoughts ?