[keycloak-dev] need feedback on pluggable fed console UI

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 09:37:27 EDT 2014

> I think it's perfectly fine to configure these through keycloak-server.json for now. It's an advanced use-case after all.

If somebody wants to integrate something (highly unlikely), our
javascript files are provided by the theme.  They can edit index.html
and app.js to add their <script> entries and their $routes.

> Providing this feature properly is going to be quite tricky and time consuming I think. A few thoughts about this:
>
> * We should at least look at UberFire

Or Hawt.io.  Which is why I didn't really want to do anything crazy here.

> * If we do this - bootstrapping of providers should be done by retrieving the config for the console from the server (list of SPIs, providers, etc.) then this should be used to load scripts (through js) and add config to the routeprovider
> * I'm still not convinced that this can't be achieved in a generic way - creating jax-rs, js scripts and html files for a provider is a big overhead (and would require developers to learn a lot of new tech)
> * Resources/connections such as email servers, ldap servers, databases, etc. should be configured globally and referenced from the realm - basically what datasources do in an app server

I don't agree that ldap servers and email servers would be or should be
configured globally.

LDAP will be an often used feature.  It should have a nice UI and
integrate real nice with the admin console.  Haven't you seen the
numerous inquiries on federating multiple ldap stores too?  I just don't
see ldap ever being configured globally.

For email, while the same email server might be used for different
realms, there is a high probability that the settings will be different
per realm  i.e.:

Subject header, email username/password, From, reply-to, email template,
etc.