[keycloak-dev] management problems

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri May 2 15:01:36 EDT 2014

Can we have a hangout on this on Monday?  I need some closure on this as
I want to get Aerogear requirements out of the way.

Comments inline:

> My thoughts was that admins would log in to a single "admin realm", which would let them manage any Keycloaks, AeroGears, EAPs and any other servers they have.

This is what I have been saying.  Keycloak admin console, keycloak REST
API, and Aerogear UPS all need to be managed by one realm.

BTW, I don't know how we would get the EAP console managed under
Keycloak.  Its all pretty much hard coded to JAAS/security domains.
Domain controller doesn't run under a servlet container.

> Then you'd have one or more application realms where end-users would login.
>
> If we don't have AeroGear admins in the same realm as Keycloak admins, admins will have to login multiple times.

Exactly.

> So basically I think the AeroGear admin console should be in the Keycloak admin realm, then there's one or more realms for AeroGear users.

  We can't always use the master Keycloak admin realm as the keycloak
server might be multi-tenant.  In other words, the keycloak server may
be managing multiple realms for completely isolated applications and
thus, you would not want to Aerogear UPS metadata in the "master" realm.

So, go back to Stan's summary.  You need:

* Keycloak administrator.  We have support for this already.
* Realm administrator.
* User within a single realm

We already have inquiries on how can an application interact with the
admin REST interface.  Seems that with our current setup, the
"master-realm" would be polluted with users, roles, and applications
beyond what it was intended to be used for.