[keycloak-dev] Next step performance

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu May 29 15:12:03 EDT 2014

I'd like to have a hangout next week on this.  There's really 4 areas to
focus on:

1. Set up a good performance test and get a baseline on current code.

2. Database caching.  There are multiple approaches.
* Our caches will be read-mostly except for user session management.
* Write our own REST cache.  My idea was to implement a new model
provider that delegates to the real underlying model provider.  It would
send RESTful invalidation messages secured by keycloak in a clustered
environment.  Maybe use Infinispan or some other local-only cache as the
backbone.  I'm really really wary of using Infinispan (or other cache's)
clustering options.  I'm not sure how well these guys work in cloud
clustered environments. And I'm not sure how well they've thought of
security.
* Use Hibernate 2nd level cache.  Really wary of this as I don't know
how well Infinispan et. al. work in a cloud environment.  I'd really
like something HTTP based and authenticated by Keycloak.  I'm not sure
we'll be able to get the level of control here either that we need.
* Another reason for a custom cache, is, IMO, almost everything can be
stored in memory. Even users.

3. Clustering.
* Keycloak is not completely stateless.  Specifically access codes are
stored in memory.  We should be able to move this state information into
a cookie.
* User Session management is a huge issue as it is the only thing that
is write-mostly.

4. HTTP Cache-Control
* All themed static content should support a way to set up cache-control
headers.
* Admin REST api could do cache-control too if we had a way to determine
a version number or timestamp on model data.  Not that important though
as, IMO, admin rest api isn't going to have a lot of volume.