[keycloak-dev] Notes on KEYCLOAK-795: Move Auth Server into KC subsystem

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 08:06:41 EST 2014

On 11/4/2014 6:52 AM, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 11/4/2014 5:54 AM, Stan Silvert wrote:
>> On 11/4/2014 2:51 AM, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
>>> Ok, we'll not include this in Beta1.
>>>
>>> I'd like to see a solution to deploying providers that:
>>>
>>> * Can be scripted
>>> * Makes life easy for developers
>> I assume you mean provider developers?  We haven't taken anything away
>> from them, so it's at least no harder.  They will be able to either use
>> exploded mode or run a script.
>>> * Can also be done while server is not running (I'm confused to why the overlays has to be uploaded through a CLI, and can't just be copied to a directory and manually added to standalone.xml)
>> That's a long, long story.   Originally, I wanted to have a directory
>> for overlays and make it work sort of like a deployment scanner.
>> Unfortunately, I found that is impossible for overlays without some
>> substantial changes to WildFly.  Overlays can't use a deployment scanner
>> of any kind.
>>
> Why do we need overlays again?
It's for overlaying keycloak-server.json and adding provider jars and
theme jars.  This is especially nice in production where you can just
upload your changes without hacking/rebuilding the WAR.

For developers, you can still just edit the keycloak-server.json that
lives in standalone/configuration.

>> Deployments and overlays are never manually added to standalone.xml.
>> That's just the way WildFly works.  You either upload with a tool like
>> CLI or web console, or (if standalone) you let a deployment scanner find
>> it.  For domain mode, only uploading is allowed.
> Requiring a CLI is so Webspherish...Surprised Jason et. al. thought that
> was a good idea.
Strangely enough, they thought it was a great idea.  Originally, AS7 was
not going to have a deployment scanner at all.  But developers
(understandably) rebelled.

Deployment scanners do have their problems, which is why they came up
with those weird marker files like *.dodeploy, *.isdeploying,
*.skipdeploy, etc.