[keycloak-dev] Keycloak distribution changes

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 02:28:19 EDT 2015

We've discussed this and I hope we're all on the same page, but just to confirm here's what we've discussed:

Keycloak Server
---------------

* Standalone
  - Built on WildFly servlet-only
  - No 'standalone/deployments' directory
  - Includes server only sub-system
  - Download name keycloak-<version>.[zip|tar.gz] (no docs, examples, etc, included)
  - Keycloak deployed to root context (http://localhost:8080)
* Demo Bundle
  - Built on WildFly full
  - Includes demo ready deployed and configured
  - Includes server and adapter sub-systems
  - Download name keycloak-bundle-<version>.[zip|tar.gz] (includes docs, examples, etc.)
  - Keycloak deployed to auth context (http://localhost:8080/auth)
* Installer
  - Installs Keycloak server sub-system into existing WildFly
  - Only "latests" WildFly at the time of release is supported
  - Keycloak deployed to auth context (http://localhost:8080/auth)

Keycloak Embedded
------------------

* Consumed by external JBoss projects to embed Keycloak
* Build-your-own WAR example repo

Keycloak Adapters
-----------------

* Separate download from server
* Installer for WildFly subsystem adapter
* We still have to decide if adapters should have a separate release cycle/version to the server
* We still have to decide if Java adapters should be moved to separate github repo

Finally, a set of releated tasks

* Split subsystem into server and adapter
* Use standalone.xml instead keycloak-server.json (json will still be supported for embedded)
* Add support to use dmr/jboss-cli for configuring the server (for example a single jboss-cli batch script can add data-source and set Keycloak to use it)
* Add support to use dmr/jboss-cli for configure realms, apps and users
* Add support to use root-context with server subsystem