[keycloak-dev] Identity Brokering token storage and retrieval

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 09:03:07 EDT 2015

> Any comments on this?

I don't know if SAML has refresh.  Half the social providers don't either.

I'm a bit wary of automatic background refresh.  Every active
usersession would have to be polled periodically.  Don't know if that
would be a big performance issue or not.  Maybe just do on-demand
refresh checks?

>> Offline access
>> --------------
>> In this case we should add the option "offline access" to the provider
>> config. When enabled we add "offline" to the requested scope. When a user
>> first logs in or links through account mngmt we store the refresh token (aka
>> "offline token") in the user store. As this is a long term token I don't see
>> any problems using the user store for it. In this case an application can
>> retrieve an access token for the identity provider that was used to
>> authenticate the user, but also for an identity providers what have "offline
>> access" enabled and there's an token store in the user store. One issue with
>> this approach is that brokered log out doesn't work. A potential solution to
>> that is that we only request offline access when linking the account, but
>> during authentication don't add the offline scope and use the process from
>> the first use-case.

If offline access is persisted, couldn't the external token still be
stored in the persisted UserSession?

>> Token retrieval
>> ---------------
>> We add a "token service" client to Keycloak that has a "retrieve token" role
>> for each provider. For an application to be able to retrieve the token the
>> user has to have a role mapping on this role and the client has to have a
>> scope on it as well. This results in using standard roles, scopes and
>> consent screens instead of a different mechanism.

I implemented it as one master role for reading the external token.
Wouldn't this be better?  Isn't one role per provider too fine grained?
  Think about social, you'd have to assign 6-7 different roles to the
user.  Although doing a role per provider would definitely make it
easier to implement as I wouldn't have to implement the migration stuff
I emailed about the other day.

BTW, I'm almost done with this. I ran into a problem testing where I
uncovered a brokered logout bug and I've spent most of my time fixing that.