[keycloak-dev] Fwd: Remove address from registration and account management by default

Lennart Jörelid lennart.jorelid at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:18:37 EDT 2015

[Forwarding to the list; not meant as a personal reply.]

Hello there,

This is exacly what I am struggling with at the moment. I have found a
number of things which would need clarification in documentation as well as
in examples:

   1. *Custom user data properties/fields*. It seems that one has to/ought
   to add custom properties to three places in the theme files: account, admin
   and registration. However, the ways to add them differ greatly, as each FTL
   template structure is quite different. (Account uses account.ftl; Admin
   uses partials/user-attribute-entry.ftl). Pattern definitions and
   explanations are missing from examples and documentation, as far as I can
   tell.
   2. *Editable properties per role*. Realm admins/editors could perhaps be
   able to edit all properties (except primary key/ID value) for all the users
   in a realm - but we would typically like to restrict which properties (both
   basic and custom attributes) are editable depending on the roles/privileges
   a user has in the realm. (For example, it would likely be a bad ide to
   permit users to change their names and birthday arbitrarily after
   registration). How do we restrict editability of normaly and custom user
   properteis - both in terms of the data and the forms required to interact
   with keycloak? Pattern definitions and explanations are missing from
   examples and documentation, as far as I can tell.
   3. *Linking users to roles/privileges in other realms.* How should one
   construct realms to grant roles & privileges automatically to users in
   other realms? (For example: All Users in Literary Society A can register
   for a party hosted by Literary Society B. Hence, how does realm admin B
   grant role KnownGuest to all users in realm A, to permit them to access
   Society B's register-to-the-event-page? Assume, of course, that both A and
   B are managed by the same Keycloak DB, so basic identity attributes should
   be extracted normally from Keycloak. Neither realm admins from A or B have
   master realm access.) Pattern definitions and explanations are missing from