[keycloak-dev] Abstract SMS support

Thomas Raehalme thomas.raehalme at aitiofinland.com
Mon Aug 17 05:29:34 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Stian Thorgersen <stian at redhat.com> wrote:

> > However it might be a good idea to include a generic HTTP/REST
> implementation
> > which you could configure through the admin interface to deliver SMS
> > messages to any service supporting HTTP? I'm pretty sure this would
> satisfy
> > most users.
>
> Not sure how that would work. AFAIK SMS providers have their own
> proprietary rest endpoints as well as authentication mechanisms so I don't
> see how we could create a generic implementation.

You would need to implement a template mechanism where the Keycloak data
(for example the recipient number and message text) is provided as
keywords, and the admin defines the template utilizing those keywords. It
would be a good idea to allow choosing between POST and GET.

For example Twilio supports a simple HTTP POST operation to delivery SMS
messages through their API:
https://www.twilio.com/docs/api/rest/sending-messages

Many operators and service providers use a similar mechanism. Often the
authentication is just a simple token which needs to be included in the
request.

Best regards,
Thomas