[keycloak-dev] in-memory only federated users

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 11:48:57 EST 2015

I'm looking into in-memory only no-import federated users.  What we
would want to do is allow the UserFederationProvider to create an
in-memory UserModel and allow for that UserModel to be cached via our
current architecture.

The current design assumes that all federated users are imported.  This
includes our caching layer too!  To add to that, the user isn't cached
until the 2nd request i.e.:

1. username/password page would hit the UserFederationProvider and the
user would be imported into Keycloak.  This imported user is not cached,
only imported into the database for this request's KeycloakSession
2. OTP Page or code 2 token would then want to lookup the user by id as
that is what is stored in the ClientSession.  It would hit the keycloak
database as it is not cached yet.  This lookup loads the cache for the user.

Getting in-memory zero-import to work is even more tricky.  The issue is
that ClientSession and UserSession need to lookup clients by id.  If the
user is not in cache, then the cache needs to lookup the user by id
within storage.  This lookup also needs to happen if a write operation
is performed on a cache user (getDelegateForUpdate()).  So, Keycloak
needs to know that that ID is not in local storage and must be looked up
from a fed provider.  The ID must be formed so that the provider fed
provider can resolve the lookup.  I could use a URI for the ID i.e.

fed:{providerId}:{login-name}

The problem with this is that this id would need to be larger than 36
characters which is the current column size for UserEntity.id and any
other table that references users.   I could possibly do:

fed:{providerAlias}:{login-name}

But its quite possible that combination would be larger than 36
characters.  We could also just shrink it to:

fed:{login-name}

But then we would have to iterate over every federation provider to find
and load the user.

So in summary:
* IDs need to expand from 36 characters to something larger. (255
maybe).  Don't some DBs have constraints on string primary key size?  DB
scripts could possibly be
* CachedUserProvider and UserFederationManager interfaces would need to
be refactored
* I don't think UserFederationProvider interface would need to change.
But users would have to code for in-memory rather than throwing a switch
to just turn it on.