[keycloak-dev] Kerberos progress

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 11:35:21 EST 2015

I see your point. I still believe that kerberos better suits Broker SPI
for few reasons.

- Broker SPI allows update profile after first login, which is required
for Kerberos (Kerberos doesn't have a way to provision firstName,
lastName or email).

- Also it allows link your account with kerberos in account management.

- Finally broker allows to expose 3rd party token/credential from broker
authentication to be shared to application and used for further calls.
For Kerberos, this is achieved through credential delegation and we need
to support as JBoss Negotiation supported it too (AFAIK Keycloak should
support all the usecases previously supported by Picketlink+JBoss
Negotiation).

Only thing is automatic login without displaying login screen, but it
makes sense to easily extend our broker SPI to allow configuring this.
Usually people will require automatic login with Kerberos, but maybe not
always. For example realm can be configured with 2 kerberos servers. In
this case login page may be displayed and user will need to click on
"Login with kerberos 1" or "Login with kerberos 2" according to which
kerberos domain he has ticket.

For handling more protections, maybe we should add something like
AuthenticationFilter or AuthenticationInterceptor? That will allow
people to configure chain of more interceptors and configure that user
is required to login with all of Kerberos ticket, Facebook password and
TOTP? We can also add flags like PAM (Required, Requisite, Sufficient etc)?

Marek

On 12.2.2015 14:49, Bill Burke wrote:
> I'm just trying to figure out where does the Broker SPI end and the
> User Federation SPI begin?  And wondering if our SPIs can be unified,
> simplified, or refactored.  For example, how would client-cert auth be
> implemented?  Like Kerberos, its a credential that is checked prior to
> displaying a login screen.
>
> Another thing, does the broker SPI allow you to still require extra
> credentials supplied by Keycloak instead of the brokered IDP?
>
> We just have to make these SPIs intuitive enough so that users know
> what they need to do and simple enough to extend Keycloak.
>
> On 2/12/2015 3:49 AM, Marek Posolda wrote:
>> On 11.2.2015 21:38, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> I am not understanding how you have implemented this.  Wouldn't
>>> kerberos
>>> just be an authentication mechanism that the auth server uses?  I don't
>>> understand why you would want special configuration at the adapter
>>> level.  This should all be configured at the auth server so that the
>>> application doesn't have to know if kerberos is used or not.
>> Yeah, ok. I've mentioned the option #3 (Adding parameter to adapter
>> config) just for case if you guys think that this is a way to go. But I
>> don't like much as well ;-)
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be:
>>>
>>> 1. App does regular SAML or OIDC redirect to auth server
>>> 2. Auth server checks to see if realm supports kerberos
>>> 3. Sends 401 + HTML
>>> 4. Browser sends back ticket