[keycloak-dev] How to render claim data entry and display?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 21:15:19 EST 2015

I'm not sure how to render claims within the admin console, registration
page, and in the user self service pages.  The thing is that generically
rendering user metadata can look quite ugly.  Address is one example
where the grouping and ordering of each attribute is important to look
nice.  There are other instances where you need to group types of data
together (home phone, fax, work phone, mobile).  Then there is the
problem of what claim data do you show on what pages which is harder
than it seems, for example, registration page might only require a
mobile number, but admin console and user profile page might want to
show home, fax, work too.  You would end up having to define a data
model that captured metadata for each page type (registration, user
profile, and admin console).  Finally, if you have generically rendered
claims, what happens when the user wants to override this rendering and
put their own formatting, .css types, etc. in?

This leads me to think that we should just punt to the developer.  In
this case, there would be no data model for claim types and everything
would be driven simply off of UserModel.attributes.  Develoeprs would
have to extend the admin console and account themes and we would provide
a template for referencing UserModel.attribute data within Angular HTML
(admin console) or Framemaker (account service, registration page).

I know Stian talked about validation, but I think this could be added on
after the fact via an AttributeValidator and again tied to a specific
UserModel.attribute.