[keycloak-dev] distribution of adapters

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 07:51:00 EST 2015

My concerns with releasing all adapters simultaneously as the server are:

* We need to release all adapters, even those that haven't changed
* Users will believe they have to update all their applications, even those where the adapter has no changes

I believe we should have separate repo, documentation and examples for adapters. However, I have no issue with grouping related adapters into one (for example all Java adapters in one repo). Reasoning behind this is that there are different build tools, expected documentation formats, example formats, etc. depending on the programming language.

We already have Java, NodeJS, JavaScript and Jenkins adapters. They are all released differently (Java in Maven, JS in Bower, NodeJS in god knows where!) so we already have an overhead of doing releases, IMO having independent releases would actually simplify things.

With regards to users I believe it's a pretty demanding requirement to expect a user to upgrade the server and all applications in one go. They may not even have control over this, for example one company provides the KC server, while another provides applications. We need to make sure there is backwards compatibility with adapters and that they can be updated independently and also it should be clear what a user is expected to upgrade when.