[keycloak-dev] WildFly integration (READ ME!)

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 10:05:00 EST 2015

> No comments?!
Peanut gallery chiming in; you asked for it ;)

I am not a WildFly developer or administrator.  So read this email as
the opinions of a talented developer who loves the hell out of using
KeyCloak and WildFly and sings its praises from the roof tops but has no
idea what you are talking about.

If on day one enabling KeyCloak in my project was any more complicated
than dropping a pregenerated file into my WEB-INF directory I would have
closed the project and never looked back.  -1

>> * Keycloak CLI - Should we create our own or use WildFly CLI
On the one hand the wildfly CLI is black magic.  On the other hand it is
really well done black magic.  It is very hard to do CLIs well so I
would like to see the wildfly CLI be used.

>> * Admin operations exposed over DMR - Should we expose none, some or all
>> admin operations over DMR? If we expose all should we deprecate the current
>> REST endpoints?
Is DMR the thing that puts stuff in the WildFly admin UI (I tried to
read the google result for "wildfly DMR" but it quickly turned into
turtles all the way down)?

In my experience I don't LIKE using the WildFly admin UI, I would rather
use the CLI, scripts, etc.  I haven't used the KeyCloak REST endpoints
and keeping them just increases the attack surface.

>> * Packaging/distribution - How do we distribute Keycloak? Options:
>>    - Full WildFly
>>    - Core/web WildFly
>>    - Overlay/installer/feature-pack to install to existing WF and EAP
>>    - WAR bundle
How about a shell script that examines a WF install directory and does
all the magic for me or aDocker container?

In general I have not liked the experience of having wildfly bundled
with a product.  It tends to mess with other servers I have installed
and be a general PITA to maintain for anything more than the most
trivial of demos.

>> * How should we deal with providers, themes and keycloak-server.json in
>> domain-mode
>>
>> * MSC all the way - We can deploy directly through the Undertow sub-system
>> instead of deploying a WAR from the sub-system
What is MSC?

>> * Split sub-systems - Should we split the sub-system in two? One for the
>> auth-server and another for the adapter
What are the trade offs?  What will using KeyCloak look like from my POV
if we split?

>> * Deployable to other containers - Should it be possible to deploy Keycloak
>> to Tomcat, Jetty, Fuse, etc..? One option could be to have reduced features
>> in other containers (for example no client-cert)
The awesomeness of WildFly has forever made web containers look
insignificant to me.  If Glassfish still had a community edition worth a
damn I would say target it as well.  I don't know how TomEE is but that
may be good to support just for a "first one's free" to get people into
WildFly land.

I don't think Websphere or WebLogic support has ever gotten anyone
excited about a project.  Honestly they are the technology equivalent of
taking a cold shower with grandma.

>> Please add any other relevant topics.
>>
>> Next big discussion I want to have is about distribution of adapters, but
>> let's do one at a time ;)

Summers Pittman