[keycloak-dev] apps access to and refresh of facebook tokens

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Fri Feb 27 11:42:55 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Bill is full of surprises :)

> > I understand the usability arguments for embedding tokens in KC access
> > token and also the new method to refresh them. But I still think that we
> > don't need that.
> >
> > IMO, each provide should implement how its tokens are refreshed. We would
> > just need a new endpoint in broker. And just let apps invoke this endpoint
> > in order to refresh tokens. The code for doing that is very simple and
> > minimal without bring complexity to apps.
> Yeah, I agree that endpoint in broker should be fine for most cases.
> However how will endpoint help with refreshing Facebook access token if
> they require browser redirect? Should there be config option on adapter
> to specify if provider supports refreshing token through broker endpoint
> or if it requires full browser redirect with "idpHint" ?
>
> Also adapter may need to specify: "Give me current facebook accessToken
> if it's not going to expire in next 10 seconds. Otherwise refresh
> facebook token". Something similar to method "updateToken" we have in
> keycloak.js. I was thinking that method "updateThirdpartyToken" will
> handle this for you.

I think we can just start simple. Each provider has its own characteristics. If facebook requires a redirect apps just use k_idp_hint like the example app.

If the provider supports backend refresh, they just use the endpoint ...

In both cases, we are saving them code and time. Apps just need to deal with the KC server.