[keycloak-dev] Email constraint violation when updating profile

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 06:53:56 EST 2015

This is a corner case and we can safely ignore it until someone complains about it. There are also already ways to work around it:

1) User logs into account console, removes the social/broker link, logs in to the other account and adds the social link
2) User talks to admin, admin deletes one account (or removes social/broker link), then user can link to existing account

When we implemented linking of accounts in the first place me and Marek discussed this issue over and over. Whichever solution we came up with had issues, both technical and usability issues. So end of the day we decided that as there's a work around to it, and that it won't be a very common problem, we could safely ignore it.

With regards to the proposed solution, that was one we visited, but it has several issues. Creating the user after doesn't work as we need to have somewhere to store the information and it would also add more complexity to required actions. Also, it doesn't work if update profile is not required on first login or if email is not required. In either of those cases you end up with at some point in the future the user may try to update the account with their email and get the same problem.