[keycloak-dev] Importing users to Keycloak

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 03:36:35 EST 2015

On 17.1.2015 18:43, James Scicluna wrote:
> Hello Keycloak Team,
> at Medeo we are currently evaluating the possibility of using Keycloak
> as our authorization provider. In particular we are very excited about
> the comprehensive feature set that Keycloak offers.
>
> Our users (and authorization) are currently handled by our main
> application but we want to move them out to a separate authorization
> provider for SSO. So far we thought about doing this in two ways:
> - replicate our database, connect it to Keycloak and implement the
> matching hashing algorithms for user passwords
> - federate the users to our existing database
>
> Are these two plausible solutions? And, are there any other possible
> solutions?
Yes, I would probably go with the second approach . You can implement
your own UserFederationProvider and point it to your database:
http://docs.jboss.org/keycloak/docs/1.1.0.Beta2/userguide/html/user_federation.html
. Then you can import your users either "on demand" (at the point they
authenticate or someone search for them from keycloak admin console) or
sync them all at once.

Marek