[keycloak-dev] Hawkular requirements (was Re: RFC: organizations)

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 12:08:05 EDT 2015

I think it is appropriate to model resource access separately, outside
of Keycloak.  The reason for this is basically how SAML/OIDC and single
sign in works.  It should be:

1. User visits Hawkular
2. User is redirected to Keycloak to login
3. User logins in
4. User is redirected back to Hawkular with a set of assertions

If you were using Keycloak to model resource access, then Hawkular would
have to continuously hit Keycloak in the background to

* create/destroy/modify resource definitions
* enable/disable permissions of the user for each resource
* verify permissions of the user for each resource

I just don't think an authentication server should be used to manage
application data.  Would you require that a company's LDAP store start
storing Hawkular specific metadata to manage all these resources?  No.
You would not.  Which is why I think Keycloak should only be storing
things like does this user belong to this group or organization.  That's
it.  Keycloak should not be managing access to the resources of a
specific application.