[keycloak-dev] Improvements of registration over Social Login providers

Vlastimil Elias velias at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 06:50:36 EDT 2015

Hi,

On 12.3.2015 10:36, Stian Thorgersen wrote:

> [...]
I agree

>> Feature proposal 2 is more important for me.
>> I need email to be used as username in KC due my backend restrictions,
>> so I implemented some basic solution as part of KEYCLOAK-1074 pull
>> request. If you accept it and keep it in the code then I can use KC for
>> my project (or we have to find some other solution, eg some extension of
>> UserFederationProvider SPI to allow it to select username in case of
>> social registration).
>>
>> But this solution is only partial and I want to help you make KC
>> generally better for all use cases, so I did this proposal.
> I appreciate it, but if possible IMO it would be better to make it work by default rather than introducing configuration options.
Sure, I agree with this also. Use reasonable default if possible, not to
add config options for everything.
But if we have some more special requirements for our project which
can't be solved by reasonable default, we have only few ways how to add
them (as we can't fork KC for our project):
- add common config option into admin app - reasonable if they can fit
for more general use
- add some hidden config option (eg. in keycloak.json) - reasonable if
this option is raare use
- find some other customization solution like extension of some SPI or so

>> I also think that current way how KC reuses username from social
>> providers is wrong as it may prevent some users from login, so what to
>> do with this? Create a bug in JIRA?
> Agree - using username from social providers isn't a good approach.
>
>> But I don't think solution with some randomly generated username, which
>> will be changed later, is a good one.
>> This may bring problems to other systems which use KC for SSO and store
>> data related to users. They typically rely on usernames to store these
>> data, but change of username in KC may break data integrity (hide data
>> for the user who changed username). How do you plan to prevent those
>> problems if you implement username change in KC?
>>
>> I understand that correct solution should be using 'User ID' in these
>> systems instead of username, but I fear it is not possible in many cases.
>>   From my experience integration of existing applications like Atlassian
>> JIRA into SSO system may be problematic in this area, you are forced to
>> use usernames there, username changes are typically a problem.
>> So I think that username changes should be possible in KC for systems
>> who need it, but no any important feature like social registrations
>> should rely on them so heavily.
> Yeah, you're right we need a solution to this that doesn't require allowing usernames to be changed.
>
> How about:
>
> 1. We allow username to be null and users created through social login has a null username - this would change the login with email only feature you're implementing slightly
> 2. We add validation support to user profiles and if any required attributes are missing the user is required to add the missing attributes on login (before redirecting to application)
> 3. We add a require username/password option on social login - if this is enabled the user will have to add a username/password on first login. If not enable the same feature will be available through account management.
>
> In your use-case it would work by:
>
> * On social login if user is missing email (for example twitter) the user is shown a insert your email form as email would be marked as required. This would also work if you need other required attributes that are not available from social, for example a DOB
> * In the case of applications that require a username you can use the new claim mapping feature to map email to the username claim, or just make sure the application uses the email claim

null username is a bit courageous proposal, I'm not sure keycloak can
live with it without any big rewrites of the code.
Some sensible default username should be used there I think (take it
from social provider if it is free, try to prepare some unique if it is
occupied in KC already).
Or we can ask user to input his username, but it is less user friendly
as it requires some user interaction (so finally we can do this as
configurable option how system will behave ;-).

Our use of email as username is a bit more complicated as we use
UserFedaretionProvider SPI with synchronizeRegistrations() enabled - we
have to create user in backend system when it is created in KC, and we
have to use email as username there. So claim mapping for client
applications is not useful for us.
Problem is that KC now provides only "after first login" user
actions/screens which may be a bit late as account is created in KC already.
I'll look at this problem a bit deeper in next few days and try to
suggest some sensible solution.
See also https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-1053

Cheers

Vl.