[keycloak-dev] Future direction of PicketLink SAML capabilities post-merge

jboss.atomicknight at xoxy.net jboss.atomicknight at xoxy.net
Fri Mar 20 16:50:03 EDT 2015

Hi there,

I'm writing with regard to the announcement about PicketLink merging into
Keycloak, particularly as it pertains to the SAML capabilities and APIs
currently offered by PicketLink today.

>From what I understand, the focus of Keycloak has historically been to
provide a standalone application/appliance that runs "out of process"
relative to an application utilizing those capabilities. In contrast,
PicketLink has been focused on lower-level APIs that are intended to be
integrated "in process" relative to the application. Is this understanding
correct? If so, will the combined project continue to support both
approaches?

More specifically, my company has developed an application that relies on
PicketLink's SAML APIs to provide SAML support as part of a larger security
subsystem. This uses the SPFilter class and the associated SAML2Handler
classes to handle SAML messages, but adapts the inputs/outputs to plug into
the existing security infrastructure (not built using PicketLink). Going
forward, will these parts of the merged codebase still be supported as
first class Java APIs? Or will they be replaced by web service APIs or
other equivalent endpoints?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Abraham