[keycloak-dev] New Keycloak repo in GitHub

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed May 13 11:38:29 EDT 2015

On 5/13/2015 10:06 AM, Stan Silvert wrote:
> Can we go ahead and make a final decision on this?  My code needs a
> home.  :-)
>
> On 5/12/2015 2:03 PM, Stan Silvert wrote:
>> On 5/12/2015 1:33 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> What's the reasoning for a separate repo?
>> I thought we just discussed this in the meeting, but given the poor
>> audio/video from my internet connection, I'm not surprised you would
>> ask.  :-)  (I think I have it fixed now, btw)
>>
>> It started with the discussion below.  This stuff could go in either
>> WildFly or Keycloak.  But WildFly is getting away from having these
>> things in one uber repo.  Even Elytron itself is in its own repo.
>>
>> We could put it in Keycloak's repo, but I don't see any advantage. This
>> stuff requires WildFly 10 and Java 8.  I'm not sure if we're ready to
>> deal with that in the Keycloak repo yet.

Why keep it in the same repo?

* Its easier for development. You import one pom.xml and then everything
is loaded.  You make a refactor in a core class, and you see the effects
everywhere.

* We know pull requests don't undermine any keycloak modules.  With
separate repos, a PR to keycloak/keycloak could pass the CI build and be
merged, but break keycloak/elytron.

>> But I think the main question is, do we want Keycloak/Elytron
>> integration to be tied to Keycloak releases?  If a WildFly release needs
>> something from keycloak-eleytron integration then it's much easier to
>> just do a release of the small repo than to do a full release of the
>> entire Keycloak product.

THere is nothing stopping us from doing an adapter only release if there
is only one repo.  You can branch from a tag, do the changes, do the
adapter-only release, merge branch into main.

Wildfly is composed of projects from a variety of teams.  Keycloak is a
one project one team.