[keycloak-dev] Why does WildFly CLI suck?

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Wed May 20 07:47:58 EDT 2015

That's what CLI GUI is for.  It provides a form (with help text) for
each operation and then constructs the syntax for you.  (And I agree
that the syntax is a little weird.  I need to ask why they didn't stick
with plain JSON.)
> The last one is much better, but there's very few of those easy to use commands available.
True.  So both of you seem to be making the point that auto-generated
UI's tend to suck.  Humans can create a better UI to be consumed by
humans.  (Of course, sometimes humans create terrible UI's as well)

I think the problem here is one of size.  There are thousands of
operations in WildFly CLI.  Who is going to create all those
user-friendly operations?

So my point here is the same as in the earlier discussion about what
should be in the Keycloak CLI.  Having something is better than having
nothing.  Customers love the WildFly CLI compared to what was there
before because before there was no CLI at all.

(Incidentally, a lot of customers apparently liked the old JMX console.
We got a lot of flak about removing it in WildFly.)