[keycloak-dev] user groups vs. client groups

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 06:23:15 EST 2015

On 3 November 2015 at 22:20, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com> wrote:

> In my previous email I talked about combining Groups and Role
> Namespaces.  Now I want to talk about User Groups vs. Client Groups.
>
> User Groups would manage a set of users.  Members would automatically
> inherit a set of "permissions": a set of roles.  User Groups would also
> provide a set of attributes that the user inherits.

Permission != role

> I'd like to introduce the concept of a Client Group.  Client Group would
> have:
>
> * Roles - basically a role namespace

-1 Having roles tied to a client or client group is exactly what we should
go away from. IMO role namespaces should be a completely separate thing.

> * Permissions - set of roles service accounts members inherit

-1 It shouldn't be called permissions, it would be role mappings. In either
case a service account is backed by a regular user, which can be part of a
user group and would get role mappings from there.

> * Scope - same as our current concept of scope

* Protocol Policies - common protocol configuration.

+1 To scope and protocol policies

> Each Client Group would have some default roles defined.  i.e. roles
> that allow a user to edit any client in the client group.

I don't understand this

> Each Client would have the same configuration options.  They would be
> able to have an additional set of roles, permissions, scope, and
> overridable Protocol Policies.

Same comment as above - why would a client have roles/permissions? I assume
we where moving away from that with role namespaces