[keycloak-dev] Import proposal

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 10:11:59 EST 2015

On 09/11/15 14:09, Stian Thorgersen wrote:

> On 9 November 2015 at 13:35, Sebastien Blanc <sblanc at redhat.com
> <mailto:sblanc at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     That would be really nice indeed !
>     But are the markers files not enough, instead of also having a
>     table in the DB ?
>

> We need a way to prevent multiple nodes in a cluster to import the
> same file. For example on Kerberos you end up spinning up multiple
> instances of the same Docker image.
I bet you meant 'Kubernetes' :-)

+1 for the improvements. Besides those I think that earlier or later, we
will need to solve long-running export+import where you want to import
100.000 users.

As I mentioned in another mail few weeks ago, we can have:

1) Table with the progress (51.000 users already imported, around 49.000
remaining etc.)
2) Concurrency and dividing the work among cluster nodes (Node1 will
import 50.000 users and node2 another 50.000 users)
3) Failover (Import won't be completely broken if cluster node crashes
after import 90.000, but can continue on other cluster nodes)

I think the stuff I did recently for pre-loading offline sessions at
startup could be reused for this stuff too and it can handle (2) and (3)
. Also it can handle parallel import triggered from more cluster nodes.

For example: currently if you trigger kubernetes with 2 cluster nodes,
both nodes will start to import same file at the same time because
import triggered by node1 is not yet finished before node2 is started,
so there is not yet existing DB record that file is already imported.
With the stuff I did, just the coordinator (node1) will start the import
. Node2 will wait until import triggered by node1 is finished, but at
the same time it can "help" to import some users (pages) if coordinator
asks him to do so. This impl is based on infinispan distributed executor
service
http://infinispan.org/docs/5.3.x/user_guide/user_guide.html#_distributed_execution_framework
.

Marek