[keycloak-dev] Import proposal

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 09:51:12 EST 2015

On 11/11/15 15:36, Stian Thorgersen wrote:

> [...]
>>         triggered from more cluster nodes.
>>
>>         For example: currently if you trigger kubernetes with 2
>>         cluster nodes, both nodes will start to import same file at
>>         the same time because import triggered by node1 is not yet
>>         finished before node2 is started, so there is not yet
>>         existing DB record that file is already imported. With the
>>         stuff I did, just the coordinator (node1) will start the
>>         import . Node2 will wait until import triggered by node1 is
>>         finished, but at the same time it can "help" to import some
>>         users (pages) if coordinator asks him to do so. This impl is
>>         based on infinispan distributed executor service
>>         http://infinispan.org/docs/5.3.x/user_guide/user_guide.html#_distributed_execution_framework
>>         .
>>

>>     The DB record needs to be created before a node tries to import
>>     it, including a timestamp when it started the import. It should
>>     then be updated once the import is completed, with the result.
>>     Using the distributed execution framework sounds like a good idea
>>     though. How do you prevent scheduling the same job multiple
>>     times? For example if all nodes on startup scan the import folder
>>     and simply import everything they find, then there will be
>>     multiple of the same job. Not really a big deal as the first
>>     thing the job should do is check if there's a record in the DB
>>     already.
>     With distributed executor, it's the cluster coordinator, which
>     coordinates which node would import what. It will send messages to
>     cluster nodes like "Hey, please import the file
>     testrealm-users-3.json with timestamp abcd123" .
>
>     After node finishes the job, it notifies coordinator and
>     coordinator will insert DB record and mark it as finished. So
>     there is no DB record inserted before node starts import, because
>     whole coordination is handled by the coordinator. Also there will
>     never be same file imported more times by different cluster nodes.
>
>     Only exception would be if cluster node crashes before import is
>     finished. Then it needs to be reimported by other cluster node,
>     but that's the case with DB locks as well.
>
>     IMO the DB locks approach doesn't handle well crash of some
>     cluster node. For example when node2 crashes unexpectedly when
>     it's importing the file testrealm-users-3.json, the DB lock is
>     held by this node, so other cluster nodes can't start on importing
>     the file (until timeout occurs.)
>
>     On the other hand, distributed executor approach may have issues
>     if there is inconsistent content of the standalone/import
>     directory among cluster nodes. However it can be solved, so that
>     each node will need to send checksums of the files it has and
>     coordinator will need to ensure that file with checksum "abcd123"
>     is assigned just to the node which has this file.
>

> With Docker/Kubernetes all nodes would have the same files. At least
> initially. Would be nice if we could come up with a solution where you
> can just drop an additional file onto any node and have it imported.
Exactly, was thinking about Docker too. Here we don't have any issue at all.

The main question here is, do we want to support the scenario when
various cluster nodes have different content? As I mentioned,
distributed coordinator can handle it, so that each cluster node will
send the checksums of the files it has and coordinator will always
assign to node just the checksums, which it has.

However regardless of distributed executor approach or DB locks
approach, there may be still the issues. For example:
1) The file testrealm.json with checksum "abc" is triggered for import
on node1
2) At the same time, admin will do some minor change in this file on
node2 and save it. This will mean that checksum of the file on node2
will be changed to "def"
3) Node2 will trigger import of that file. So we have both node1 and
node2 importing same file concurrently because the previously retrieved
lock was for "abc" checksum, but now checksum is "def"

This problem will be with both DB lock and DistributedExecutor
approaches though...

Marek