[keycloak-dev] Client ID and Client ClientID - I propose we remove one

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 09:43:04 EST 2015

FYI, there's other problems too.  Built in clients are looked up via
their hardcoded ClientIds "admin-console" "broker" etc, again because DB
ids are generated.

I just don't see how you can remove ID or ClientID. ID is URL friendly,
ClientID isn't and needs to be encoded.  ID is pretty much hidden from
the user until they want to use the REST interface.  If you remove ID
from the REST interface then ClientID @PathParams are gonna have to be
encoded which could be a real pain for users, especially ones using
simple HTTP.  While most libraries will encode query and form params,
users will have to encode by hand other mechanisms.

There's a similar problem with Groups.  Groups are looked up via a
"path" name "/parent/child"  in the REST interface, then you have use
the ID to reference the rest of the GROUP rest interface i.e.
groups/{ID}/children.

We'll have similar problems with role namespaces if you want to
incorporate them into the REST interface.

ClientId should be forced to become a URL friendly string (no special
characters or '/' or "?", etc.).  SAML can introduce an Issuer URL or
something.  After that, you can remove ID.  That's the only solution I
can see that will work well.