[keycloak-dev] i18n/l10n: English text in java code

Thomas Raehalme thomas.raehalme at aitiofinland.com
Thu Oct 8 00:48:36 EDT 2015

On Oct 8, 2015 6:53 AM, "Stian Thorgersen" <sthorger at redhat.com> wrote:

> With regards to internationalization I have two questions:
>
> * Should we fallback to English messages if a key is missing in a
translation? Alternative is to show key, but that's not going to help anyone

A missing key is a bug and showing the message in the default locale may
hide the problem.

Even though showing the key does not help the end user it helps the
developer and identifies the problem. For this reason I think showing the
key would be a good idea.

> * Should we change message bundles to UTF-8? Or is ISO 8859-1 going to
work for all languages?

Depends what those all languages are :-)

I think UTF-8 is the best choice as it will handle practically any
character.

But if you're referring to Java resource bundles the encoding for
.properties is ISO-8859-1 but there are means to handle any UTF-8 character.

Best regards,
Thomas

https://github.com/ssilvert/keycloak/commit/c9437595b70810c4472325373dd8833c37be8549