[keycloak-dev] i18n/l10n: English text in java code

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 07:56:26 EDT 2015

On 9 October 2015 at 13:46, Stan Silvert <ssilvert at redhat.com> wrote:

> #1 You're not going to catch all missing keys this way - as I said there's
> 2 types, custom defined as well which could be missing from default bundle
>
> It catches it at load time.  As it loads each bundle, it checks against
> the previously loaded bundle.  That will indeed catch all missing keys in
> any bundle you try to test.
>
> I don't know exactly what you mean by "custom defined".  Somehow a
> third-party bundle must be merged with our default bundle.  Unless I
> completely misunderstand, the code I wrote will still work.

New keys can be defined by using keys in client descriptions, client names,
etc, etc.. These won't be in our message bundle, but would be in the bundle
in a customers theme. This is why message bundles inherit from the parent
theme. Custom providers and themes can further introduce new keys.

> #2 Rendering the whole bundle useless just because you're missing one key
> is just daft
>
> It is the correct thing to do.  A missing key is like a null pointer.  It
> deserves a RuntimeException.

No it's not the correct thing to do.

> #3 There will quite likely be separate teams that do translations to those
> that do development, which means stack traces and log output is not the
> solution
>
> I don't see what that has to do with anything.  You start with a set of
> bundles containing all the correct keys.  Then you translate each bundle.
> If you accidentally delete a key then you want to know that right away.
> But we should indeed ask the translation team what they want to see.

Sure, go ahead and ask them if they want to look for RuntimeExceptions in
the server log.

> #4 Doing a check each time you pull a message bundle to compare with the
> base bundle is probably not that expensive, but still pretty daft thing to
> do
>
> You only load each bundle once.  So the check only happens the first time
> you request the bundle.
>
> #5 A proper util that's used to translate bundles is much better - we can
> implement a page in the admin console that allows you to validate a bundle
> and print out all missing bundles. This is something that would be more
> developer friendly and also would be usable by non-developers (aka people
> with other language skills than Java)
>
> We should ask the translation team what they want to see and how they do
> their work.  I'm sure that they don't expect a tool to be built into the
> product.  None of our other products have that.

I don't just care about our translation team, they will translate the built
in keys, but they won't translate the ones introduced by users.