[keycloak-dev] Keycloak doubts

David Ramírez d.rami85 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 12:35:32 EDT 2015

Hi guys,

I'm new with Keyloack server, after read the official documentation I have
a couple of questions.

Following the Oauth2 flow:

  +--------+                                           +---------------+
  |        |--(A)------- Authorization Grant --------->|               |
  |        |                                           |               |
  |        |<-(B)----------- Access Token -------------|               |
  |        |               & Refresh Token             |               |
  |        |                                           |               |
  |        |                            +----------+   |               |
  |        |--(C)---- Access Token ---->|          |   |               |
  |        |                            |          |   |               |
  |        |<-(D)- Protected Resource --| Resource |   | Authorization |
  | Client |                            |  Server  |   |     Server    |
  |        |--(E)---- Access Token ---->|          |   |               |
  |        |                            |          |   |               |
  |        |<-(F)- Invalid Token Error -|          |   |               |
  |        |                            +----------+   |               |
  |        |                                           |               |
  |        |--(G)----------- Refresh Token ----------->|               |
  |        |                                           |               |
  |        |<-(H)----------- Access Token -------------|               |
  +--------+           & Optional Refresh Token        +---------------+

are 'Client' and 'Resource Server' Keycloaks' clients?

For example, I have an Android App and a Service (Java Rest service),
should both be registered in Keycloak Server like clients?

The last question is about Refresh token.

When I'm authenticated for achieving an access token through
'http://localhost:8080/auth/realms/demo/protocol/openid-connect/token',
I received a refresh token too.

If I try to get a protected resource by the refresh token I will get
access to it... Why is it possible? I thought that refresh token was
only for generate new access token. I'm a bit confussed.

I will appreciate any help, thanks.